The "CITY OF MEMPHIS" Stream-Lined Passenger
The CITY OF MEMPHIS was
inaugurated in May of 1947 as a steam-powered streamlined train to replace
THE VOLUNTEER as the daylight limited between Nashville and Memphis.
The CITY OF MEMPHIS made the 239 mile run between the two terminals at 5
hours even, or an average speed of 47.8 mph. The train departed from
Memphis each morning at 8:05 AM, and arrived back into that town that same
evening at 7:40 PM. Dining car service was provided on the CITY OF
MEMPHIS as well as a Coach-Lounge-Observation Car for the white folks, and
additional Coach- Lounge-Dinette for the colored people.